Butter rum shrimp is one of my absolute favorite “go to” recipes. It is great for just the hubs and I or a perfect dish for entertaining. I like to serve this with saffron rice and a green veggie.
This meal pairs well with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc and I love Nobilo from Trader Joe’s. It is delicious with just the right amount of acidity to pair with the buttery seafood. Not only is it a yummy wine, it is from New Zealand and is super affordable. Cheers!
The beauty of this dish is that it only takes a few minutes to make and is as good as anything you could order at a fine restaurant.
I modified the recipe slightly by adding additional tarragon and I use a combination of olive oil (light tasting) and butter versus using all butter. You can decide what you prefer.
You could also put a Caribbean twist on this and serve with coconut rice and maybe some sliced mango.
Butter Rum Shrimp or Scallops
- August 25, 2018
- 30 min
- Print this
- 5 tablespoons butter (or 3 tablespoons of light olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter)
- 48 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (or 24 large scallops)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon (the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon, but I love tarragon)
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- 1 additional tablespoon of butter to finish the sauce
- Step 1
- In a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one tablespoon of butter
- Step 2
- Add the shrimp or scallops, salt and pepper and tarragon.
- Step 3
- Saute until seafood is seared and almost cooked through (2-4 minutes)
- Step 4
- Remove seafood with a slotted spoon
- Step 5
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and the green onions
- Step 6
- Add remaining tarragon and saute over medium heat for a few minutes
- Step 7
- Add rum to deglaze the pan while scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan
- Step 8
- Return the seafood to the pan with any accumulated juices and cook through
- Step 9
- Swirl in the last tablespoon of butter to thicken the sauce
- Step 10
- Serve over saffron rice with a green veggie. Enjoy!