Cravings – We All Have Them
I have been watching my carbs lately and have been craving some yummy Mexican food. Maybe I will try the low carb tortillas that I saw recently at the market. It will be a bit of a splurge, but sometimes you just have to “go for it”!
One of our favorite recipes to make when we have leftover chicken from our Sunday night roast is our creamy chicken enchiladas. If I make a nice side salad instead of the rice, perhaps I can make this work for my diet.
We like to roast a chicken during the weekend and save the bones to make chicken stock for soup and chicken salad for sandwiches. If you save a couple of cups of shredded chicken left over, you can make these delicious enchiladas. If you do not have chicken on hand, you can always pick up a rotisserie chicken from your local market to make this.
Great Recipe For Entertaining
This is also a perfect recipe to feature if you are entertaining. Just add a nice salad and rice and you have a great meal. A great dessert would be churros with chocolate sauce. At a party a while back, one of our guests brought homemade churros from her favorite Mexican restaurant. What a treat!
Another great thing about this recipe is that it freezes really well. We make a big pan full and freeze in individual servings for a quick dinner when we are on the go.
Make It A Meal With The Perfect “Sides”
Usually, we serve this with some Mexican rice. We use brown rice and add green onions, some chopped tomatoes, and cumin to spice it up a bit. Also, we add a pinch of saffron for additional flavor and a nice yellow color.
Chicken Enchiladas - Ole!
- November 18, 2021
- This recipe makes 8 large enchiladas
- Print this
- 8 large flour tortillas (we use La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas)
- 2-8 ounce packages softened cream cheese
- 2-4 ounce cans of Hatch Diced Green Chilis
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-15.5 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1-16 ounce jar of your favorite salsa (we use Paul Newman's Medium Salsa)
- 1 cup grated pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and chopped green onion for garnish
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2
- Mix together cream cheese, chilis, chicken and cumin until smooth
- Step 3
- Spray an 11 1/2 inch by 13 1/2 inch lasagna pan/baking dish with cooking spray
- Step 4
- Spread the cream cheese and chicken mixture down the middle of each of the 8 tortillas
- Step 5
- Roll up the tortillas and place seam side down in the dish
- Step 6
- Mix together the drained black beans and salsa (and corn if using)
- Step 7
- Evenly spread the beans and salsa over the tortillas to cover completely
- Step 8
- Sprinkle cheese over the top
- Step 9
- Cover with non-stick foil
- Step 10
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Step 11
- Remove foil and cook for an additional 5 minutes to ensure the cheese is totally melted
- Step 12
- Let the dish sit for several minutes
- Step 13
- Cut into squares or place a couple of enchiladas on each plate
- Step 14
- Top with sour cream and chopped green onions
Yummie Kim ! I’m making this .. I have been making my roast chicken in the Insta pot and it’s the best chicken ever !
Happy thanksgiving 🍁🤎🦃🧡🍂
Have a relaxing, thankful, Tksgvg. 2021. Hugs, Doug & Donna, and Family.