We love trying new and exciting recipes, and this was a big hit! As promised, here is the recipe for a delicious golden beet appetizer.
If you have been following Luxe du Jour, you know that we love Napa Valley and spent a month there last October.
One of our favorite experiences was visiting McEvoy Ranch. Not only is their wine fantastic, but they also have the best ever – Lemon Olive Oil.
When we visited the ranch, we were told that unlike most flavored olive oils, they actually process the oil with whatever they are flavoring it with. This provides a much better flavor than just infusing the oils with the herbs or citrus.
They also have a beautiful line of natural skin care products with ingredients sourced from the ranch.
Of course, we joined their wine club and receive deliveries of their wines a few times per year. Also, they send a really nice booklet with pairing ideas and recipes. This is where I got this yummy treat.
This recipe for Golden Beet Appetizer with Herbed Ricotta and Lemon Olive Oil was so delicious that we will definitely be making this again. It is colorful, has a lot of unique flavors and is relatively easy to prepare. It pairs perfectly with their Rosebud Rose, and is a really nice starter to enjoy when entertaining.
Begin by roasting the golden beets wrapped in foil in a pan at 350 degrees for about an hour (until the beets are tender, but not mushy). The cooking time will depend on the size of the beets. I was lucky to find some that were small and just the right bite-size when sliced for the recipe. The recipe calls for cutting the beets into a fluted shape. I just did rounds. I guess you could use a biscuit cutter or heart-shaped cookie cutter to make these extra special.
Also, we found that freshly chopped chives from our herb garden worked well to flavor the ricotta, and we used very thin asparagus spears versus the large tougher version. The star of the show is definitely the Lemon Olive Oil.
Give this recipe a try. I know you will love it!
GOLDEN BEET APPETIZER WITH HERBED RICOTTA AND LEMON OLIVE OIL
- May 19, 2019
- Print this
- 6 golden beets (3'' in diameter), cooked and peeled
- 1 bunch thin asparagus spears, blanched
- 1 bunch chives, thinly sliced (or tarragon or chervil work well)
- 6 ounces whole milk ricotta
- 1 lemon zested (I put half in the ricotta mixture and used the rest for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons McEvoy Ranch Lemon Olive Oil, divided
- Sea salt to taste (I also added freshly ground pepper)
- Step 1
- Slice beets approximately 1/4” thick. Trim slices with a 1 3/4” round fluted or plain cookie cutter
- Step 2
- Lightly salt the beets, drizzle with the olive oil, and place on a platter
- Step 3
- Slice the asparagus spears into rounds starting at the base. Reserve the tips and slice in half lengthwise
- Step 4
- Mix the asparagus rounds, chives, and ricotta together with one tablespoon of the lemon olive oil and salt to taste (I added some lemon zest)
- Step 5
- Toss the reserved asparagus tips with salt and lemon olive oil just to coat
- Step 6
- Top the rounds with the reserved asparagus tips
- Step 7
- Garnish with lemon zest and drizzle more lemon olive oil over the top