Cooking At Home Again
Like everyone else, something happened to our routine during the days of Covid.
We stopped going out to dinner and became more adventurous with our menus. One of our favorites is Asian cuisine.
At first, we were a bit intimidated, but discovered that even in our local grocery store we could get all of the ingredients we needed.
We even bring out our chopsticks and Asian style dishes to set the perfect scene.
What is great about this recipe is that it is good for a busy night and takes no time to prepare.
This Has Become One Of Our New “Go To” Recipes
This recipe for Egg Roll Bowls has become a favorite. It is super easy. We opt to serve this with lettuce leaves. You can use butter lettuce or crunchy romaine. We pair this with a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc or a cold beer. Yum!
Even our 92 year old Dad loves this dish. We think we all like a little spice in our lives!
Egg Roll Bowl With Lettuce Leaves
- March 7, 2022
- 4 - 6
- Print this
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced (we use the ginger in a jar if we do not have fresh)
- 1 pound of ground pork or chicken (we think the pork offers more flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded or julienned carrot
- 1/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (we use less sodium version)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (or you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes)
- 3 green onions, cut thinly on a diagonal (reserve one for garnish at the end)
- 1 tablespoon, toasted sesame seeds
- 12 - 14 butter lettuce leaves
- Step 1
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and sesame oil
- Step 2
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for one minute
- Step 3
- Add pork (or chicken) and cook, breaking up until meat is browned for 8 – 10 minutes
- Step 4
- Push pork to the side and add onion, green onion, carrot and cabbage
- Step 5
- Stir to combine all
- Step 6
- Add soy sauce and Sriracha
- Step 7
- Cook until cabbage and carrot are tender for approximately 8 – 10 minutes (add additional soy sauce if the mixture becomes dry)
- Step 8
- Divide into individual bowls and top with reserved green onion
- Step 9
- Serve lettuce leaves on the side