Happy Easter everyone! Today is the day to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and a good time to pray for those that need our prayers right now. With COVID – 19 affecting so many families, we really need to take a step back, be more patient, less “judgie” and more compassionate toward others.
We Took A Little Break And Now Are Back And Ready To Give You Luxe, Luxe And More Luxe
As you may have noticed, we took a little break from blogging to get focused and to evaluate why we originally started Luxe du Jour. It was mainly to enjoy sharing ideas, experiences and to feed our creative side.
Well, at some point, we lost the focus on fun and began adding pressure to get a certain number of posts out, communicate on Facebook and Instagram. This was definitely not the original intention. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!
So, with that being said….let’s have a “rebirth” and bring back the fun!
Creative Tablescapes Are One Of Our Passions
You know we LOVE a pretty tablescape and tend to switch from dining outside on the patio to casual dining in our breakfast room, breakfast bar or more formal experience in our dining room (or as my friend calls it “the fancy eatin’ room”).
The accent dishes in the dining room setting are Royal Stafford and were found at one of my favorites…Homegoods. Several of the other accent pieces were also found there. We LOVE the Williams Sonoma wicker chargers on the patio and the matching napkin rings. These are becoming our “go-to” items for the breakfast area or patio.
Both Williams Sonoma and Pottery Barn have such great seasonal decor including a lot of Easter and spring items. This year, we just used items that we already had in our collection. Perhaps, we will check out the sales and order a few fresh items online for next year.
Notice that we have kept to the blue and white color scheme in the breakfast area and patio. Since redecorating our family room a while back, we have learned how to add different colors to compliment this new look.
Now, to the food. We have a tradition here at Luxe du Jour of making a baked ham, cheesy potatoes, and green beans. Also, a nice fresh salad with either mandarin oranges with toasted almonds or apple walnut salad. Dessert this year is apple pie ala mode. Yum!
Because it is one of our all-time favorites for Easter supper, we would like to share our recipe for Gratin Dauphinois (we call them cheesy potatoes) from Joy of Cooking cookbook. It is an easy recipe and can be made ahead. Topped with Gruyere cheese, it is a cheesy delight!
Gratin Dauphinois (aka Cheesy Potatoes)
- April 12, 2020
- Print this
- 1 - 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes peeled and thinly sliced (I use a mandolin for slicing)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups half-and-half (I use 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2
- Butter a 12-inch gratin or 3-quart baking dish
- Step 3
- Let butter dry a bit and rub the dish with the halved garlic clove (set aside)
- Step 4
- Pour half-and-half into large saucepan or Dutch oven and place on medium-low heat
- Step 5
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the pot
- Step 6
- Slice potatoes and immerse in the half-and-half mixture (make sure the potatoes are covered or they will discolor)
- Step 7
- Cook and stir until the mixture thickens slightly (about 5 minutes)
- Step 8
- Pour entire mixture into the prepared gratin or baking dish
- Step 9
- Press down the top layer to make sure the potatoes are completely submerged
- Step 10
- Top evenly with the grated cheese and sprinkle with chopped parsley
- Step 11
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the potatoes are tender (about 45 minutes to an hour)
- Step 12
Since we are on stay at home orders, we have our 90-year-old Dad coming over for the day and he will join us for early dinner. I am sure he will find a way to fit in a nap at some point (he is a good napper). The hubs, Dad and I have not been out of the house for weeks except to grocery shop or for a scenic drive to just get out of the house. We are so blessed to have Dad here with us and he is dealing pretty well with being on the stay at home orders.
Anyway, look forward to hearing from us again real soon and thank you for your love and support since we started Luxe du Jour. Why not make your life extra special by adding a few luxe touches and experiences. We are committed to being your source for all that is luxe.