It’s Getting Cooler In The Lowcountry
Finally, there is a cool breeze here in the Lowcountry.
It has been a hot summer and the change in humidity really makes a HUGE difference.
Now, it’s time to bring out some of our Fall decor and to enjoy trying some new soup recipes. There is nothing like a big bowl of soup with a crisp salad and some crusty bread. Or the ULTIMATE “comfort food” – Chicken and Dumplings.
Fall Patio Overlooking The Marsh
Stopping Off For A Fall Feast
Once again, we made a stop off on our way back from a business trip at our friend’s home. She outdid herself again!
We were so enthusiastic about the luncheon that we even forgot to get a picture of this delectable meal. The chicken was so tender with a delicious, creamy sauce, and the dumplings were fluffy and the perfect texture.
Of course, we had some wine with our meal. We started with a delicious Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut Sparkling to pair with our delicious salad and appetizers. Then, we enjoyed a wine that we got along the way — Cooper’s Hawk Petite Sirah. If you have not been to Cooper’s Hawk, you are missing out on some great wines, and we LOVE their “small bites”. There are several locations throughout Florida and also in the Midwest. Check out the link for a location near you.
Since there is not a Cooper’s Hawk location in our area, we had to go there on our recent trip. We tried two soups – Lobster Crab Bisque and Chicken Tortilla. Both were delicious. Then we ordered the Chicken Potstickers and the Drunken Shrimp – these were both yummers! We like to sit in the bar during Happy Hour where the wine and appetizers are so reasonable and perfect for sharing.
We’re Testing Some Fall Recipes
This is the time of year that we begin to test and taste various soups and stews. Next up is Tuscan White Bean Soup. We will post this once it has been tested and tasted. Tell us what your favorite comfort food is during the cooler weather?
Take Time To Enjoy Fall
Anyway, we hope you take time to enjoy some long walks and time outside in this glorious weather.
Delectable Chicken And Dumplings
- October 1, 2021
- Print this
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (you could probably use breasts, however these were super moist and breasts may be a bit dry)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- Step 1
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat
- Step 2
- Add chicken and brown on all sides (about 5 minutes), set aside and keep warm
- Step 3
- Add onion to pan drippings and cook until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Step 4
- Stir in the flour and cook until bubbly
- Step 5
- Add the chicken stock, wine, salt and pepper
- Step 6
- Bring to a boil
- Step 7
- Add the milk and chicken to the pot
- Step 8
- Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and tender (about 50 minutes)
- Step 9
- For the Dumplings:
- Step 10
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds in a mixing bowl
- Step 11
- In another bowl combine the egg and milk
- Step 12
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture until evenly moistened
- Step 13
- Drop 1/4 cup mounds of the dough onto the chicken
- Step 14
- Cook for 10 minutes, uncovered
- Step 15
- Cook for another 10 minutes, covered until the dumplings are cooked through