Easy Peasy Weeknight Dinner
Now is a great time to enjoy an easy peasy sheet pan meal as the weather becomes a bit cooler. Here in South Carolina we are loving the cooler mornings and evenings.
This time of year is when we change out our decor and add some Fall “touches” including sunflowers, pinecones (found right in our yard) and fall linens. Check out these beautiful sunflowers that we found at our local market.
Trust me – this recipe is sure to become a favorite! The combination of chicken sausage with freshly roasted fennel and apples makes a delicious Fall dinner in a hurry.
If you are looking for tasty with a unique flavor that pairs really well with a full bodied wine – this is the recipe for you. We paired this meal with a delicious Chappellet Malbec and it was such a great combination.
Roasted Veggies Are The Best
The roasted veggies with Tuscan Kale Chicken Sausage from The Fresh Market was pure YUM! Adding a nice crispy salad and crusty sourdough bread rounded out this meal. We also offered a selection of mustards to enjoy with the sausages. Honey mustard, dijon and a spicy grainy mustard was what we had on hand which really enhanced the flavors of the meal.
Of course, we put our own spin on the recipe by adding small redskin potatoes, and a small onion. We also opted to brown the sausages prior to putting on the sheet pan. We always like a nice crust on our sausages.
The only thing we would do differently next time is to add the apples halfway through the cooking time. They almost melted in to the dish, and we would have preferred a little more texture.
You should definitely give this a try. You can experiment with different varieties of sausages and add some other veggies. I must say that roasting fennel makes a huge difference and makes it so sweet.
Tuscan Kale Chicken Sausage With Fennel And Apples
- October 17, 2022
- Print this
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar (the recipe called for 1/4 cup, but we wanted the veggies to roast versus steam and thought that was too much vinegar0
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken sausages (we browned and then cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 small fennel bulbs, sliced with fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 onion cut into large chunks
- 2 medium sized Honeycrisp apples, cored and cut into 1 inch wedges
- 10-12 small redskin potatoes (we used whole potatoes, however, you could quarter larger ones)
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Step 2
- Whisk together oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in bowl
- Step 3
- Arrange the sausages, onion, fennel in a single layer on foil lined sheet pan
- Step 4
- Drizzle the vinegar and oil mixture over all and toss lightly to coat well
- Step 5
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes
- Step 6
- Stir to cook evenly
- Step 7
- Add apple slices and combine with other ingredients
- Step 8
- Cook for an additional 20 minutes until veggies are caramelized
- Step 9
- If needed, you can put the pan under the broiler to brown a bit more
- Step 10
- Garnish with fennel fronds
- Step 11
- Optional: sprinkle with chopped parsley