It’s Friendly Friday featuring recipes from friends. Our friends from Michigan came to visit us this winter AND brought some great recipes for us to try. You gotta love someone that brings recipes. Whenever we go to their house, they serve yummy food, so we knew that this would be a winner.
Well, we decided to try the Mexican Lasagna recipe that they shared with us. It is a spin on regular lasagna but with tortillas, different spices, and black beans. It was a big hit!
A business colleague is in town and we decided to have him over (social distancing, of course) to be included in the “taste and test”. The hubs and our guest liked this so much that they went back for seconds.
Salad is always a good addition to any meal. We served a salad with lime and chili dressing which went well with the rich and hearty lasagna. Instead of croutons, we added crumbled tortilla chips to top the salad for some crunch. AND, our colleague brought us a nice bottle of Malbec. The wine was a perfect pairing with the lasagna. This is the first time we tried Wapisa Malbec and we will definitely be visiting our wine store to get some of this for our wine bar.
Perfect Recipe For Entertaining
You will definitely LOVE this recipe and it is perfect if you are entertaining, as it can be made ahead and heated in the oven. The cheese on top gets all browned and bubbly and the spices are perfect!
We also served a selection of hot sauces to top off the dish. As I mentioned, we love spicy!
Although the recipe calls for ground chicken, it would probably be delicious if you used ground turkey or beef. We really liked the flavor of the chicken.
Laurie's Ole' Mexican Lasagna
- June 26, 2020
- Print this
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ground chicken breast (we used 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (we used 3 tablespoons since we love spicy)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed or fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup medium heat salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Salt to taste
- 8 (8 inch) spinach or regular flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese (we used pepper jack)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped for garnish
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Step 2
- Heat large skillet over medium heat
- Step 3
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to coat the pan
- Step 4
- Add the chicken and season with chili powder, cumin, and onions
- Step 5
- Brown the meat for approximately 5 minutes
- Step 6
- Add the tomatoes and salsa
- Step 7
- Then, add the black beans and corn
- Step 8
- Heat the mixture through for 2 -3 minutes and season with salt to taste
- Step 9
- We made sure that most of the liquid was absorbed into the meat
- Step 10
- Coat a shallow baking dish (9″ x 12″) with remaining olive oil
- Step 11
- Build the lasagna in layers of meat and beans, then tortillas (cut into quarters to fit into the pan), then cheese
- Step 12
- Repeat meat, tortillas, cheese again (we did 3 layers)
- Step 13
- Bake lasagna for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly
- Step 14