Many years ago, we stayed with friends in Chicago and they made this incredible breakfast casserole.
It’s called Buenos Dias Breakfast Casserole, and it really does say “good morning” in the best way.
What we like about this recipe is that it does not have any meat. Although we love sausage, ham, and bacon many of our guests do not. You can always add the breakfast meat on the side to complete the meal for those that want to indulge.
Another thing that we love about this is that it can be made in advance. You can make this the night before, place it in the refrigerator and pop it in the oven in the morning. PERFECT when you have overnight guests.
You probably noticed that the name indicates that there may be a “south of the border” flair. With the cheese and chilis as part of the casserole, you can add salsa, guacamole, chopped green onions or any of your favorite toppings. We put out a tray with small bowls with all of the toppings and our guests can create their own dish.
We usually serve a fresh fruit salad with this, and the freshness of the fruit goes well with the rich and creamy eggs and cheese.
This is not low cal by any means, but just a small slice with some fruit is just enough for a satisfying meal. And, there is a lot of protein with the cottage cheese.
Buenos Dias Breakfast
- October 29, 2019
- Print this
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cottage cheese
- 3/4 pound of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (you can use pepper jack too)
- 3/4 pound shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 4-ounce cans of diced green chilis (you can substitute mild jalapenos for more kick)
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs
- Step 3
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well
- Step 4
- Pour into a greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish
- Step 5
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the middle is set
- Step 6