And, where did we get all of this stuff? We did some significant purging prior to moving, but kept most of our furniture hoping it would work in our new environment. We have been unpacking boxes for over two weeks and are still not done. Fortunately, most everything that we already had fit well and was incorporated into our new coastal theme.
How To Make Everything Work In The New Space
Initially, we thought that our dining room furniture was not a large enough scale for the space, but with a little “tweeking” it has become one of our favorite rooms. Since the house is rather formal in design our chinoiserie style china cabinet, server and table look terrific in the space. We also added some coastal touches to the dining room table for a fresh look.
Some of our furniture that we had in our family room in Florida is now in the living room. Thankfully, most items work well in either space. We are so happy that our oversized, pine cabinet looks so great in the living room. The family room is all windows with a fireplace and built-in cabinets, so there was no where to put the large cabinet. See, it all works out.
We Went From Downsizing To A Bigger Space
Our intention was to downsize a bit, but we ended up buying a house that is quite a bit larger than our previous home. Sometimes things do not turn out how you planned, but ultimately are the right choice. This was the case with us and this move.
Spectacular Views Of The Marsh
What really sold us on this house is the property and view of the marsh in the backyard. We did not know what to expect living on a marsh and it is so natural and beautiful at all times of the day and night.
We will post more information on living overlooking a marsh later. Right now, let’s focus on what we LOVE about our new home and this special place.
This photo does not really capture the essence of the view. I will try to get a picture during high tide with the water interspersed between the spartina grass. You can also see the golf course in the distance. The spartina grass sways in the wind and is full of surprises. One of our neighbors stated it correctly “living on the marsh is like viewing a portrait that changes constantly”. And, she was right.
Features We LOVE About This House
- So many windows featuring the view
- Very high ceilings
- Cherry, wide plank wood floors throughout
- Lots of built-ins
- Beautiful library with cherry bookshelves and library ladder (pictures to follow as this area is still not finished)
- Plantation shutters in every room (even the master bedroom closet and garage) – can you believe it?
- The house is located at the end of a cul-du-sac
- Wonderful and friendly neighbors
- Community dock with spectacular views of the Colleton River (perfect spot to view the sunsets or to enjoy a picnic)
- Fireplaces in both the master bedroom and family room
- Covered front porch (perfect for sipping a sweet tea or to enjoy a glass of wine)
- Mature live oaks with moss hanging everywhere
- Two very mature magnolia trees – love magnolias
- The community is just gorgeous. The drive to our house from the front gate is almost 4 miles – AHHHHH!
- AND, the the big “bonus” is the bonus room where my Dad can live with us and have his own space. At 91 years old, he is still vibrant and interested in his new adventure here during the winter. We are so fortunate to have him with us and cannot wait to show him around
Some Resources Featuring Luxe Additions For Your Home
On our coffee table in our family room is the most delicious scented candle ever! Our friend and realtor in Florida sent a Baobab Collection candle to us and it really is incredible. Not only does is smell amazing, but it lasts for a really long time. Here is the link. http://www.baobabcollection.us/en/collections/. The candle that we have is part of the High Society Swann collection. It is a combination of iris, cedarwood and vetiver. These are a bit pricey, but worth every penny!
Most of our coastal touches were found at Homegoods. There are several lovely shops in the area that have similar pieces for hundreds of dollars. We were lucky and found some beautiful coral, shells and other items for a fraction of the cost from our favorite store – Homegoods. http://www.homegoods.com.
A dear friend gave us the most beautiful ginger jar from her favorite shop J. Banks Design. What a fabulous gift and I am so happy that she introduced me to this store. They have a great collection of accessories and unique items. http://www.jbanksdesign.com
We discovered that J. Banks is also the design group that just completed a total transformation at the country club here at Colleton River. It is really a gorgeous and updated look. http://www.colletonriverclub.com
One of our favorite designers, Mark D. Sikes, was a huge inspiration when we began decorating our new house. In addition to Ralph Lauren (our fav) he has a keen eye for color and features timeless design. His book that we have is entitled Beautiful and is full of great ideas. We referred to it constantly. He has another book out called More Beautiful that we need to order. Here is the link: https://markdsikes.com/books/beautiful/
A Few Vignettes Throughout Our Middleton Gardens Place
It is amazing how things work out. We put our home in Florida on the market, it sold in record time and this house although already under contract became available to us. We feel like the luckiest people in the world. Here we are Living Life Luxuriously in the lowcountry and loving it!